Monday, May 15, 2006

A Hankerchief, Some Burning, and a Left Arm


In this post we're going to do some things a lot of you might not have tried yet. First will be an 'Add-On'. In this case the add-on is a hankerchief the Cook uses to wipe his hands and, no doubt, blow his nose. It's much easier doing an add-on than trying to allow for such details on a solid block. I know...some might say it's cheating. Tough!

We are also going to use a pyrotechnic pen to do some burning. If you don't have one of these pens don't worry..you can get buy without that detail and your carving will look just as good.

Lastly, we are going to carve the left arm and attach it permanently to the body. Did I hear someone cry CHEATING!!! again??? Hey..if you don't like what we're doing here go pester someone else. This is my technique, my carving and my Blog so I'll do it "MY way. I'll explain a little more why I do the arms separate in the Right Arm post.

You will also see photos of me using my Sand-O-Flex Wheel. I use this piece of equipment constantly. I have one wheel set up for my carvings and another with heavier grit paper for metal and other projects. They are invaluable to me.

You can see by the photo above that I have finished carving the boots by completing the soles and adding a few wrinkles.

This is a busy posting which will take you a while to get through. There are some different and possibly difficult steps to accomplish but just take your time and you'll make it through okay. Just remember.....CHEATING IS ALLOWED ON THIS SITE!!!

Someone ask how I come up with my ideas for carvings. Well....I love the Old West! In this particular instance, I like to think I know a lot about Chuckwagons and Cooks as my wife and I own a wagon and we cook out of it a lot. This June 10 & 11 we'll have our wagon at the Echoes of the Trail Cowboy event in Fort Scott, Kansas. The fire will be burning, the coffee hot and there will be biscuits in the Dutch Oven. If you're in the area we'd love to have you stop by.

www.cowboypoetry.com/echoes.htm

To be continued.....

3 comments:

  1. Lynn,

    If possible, in a future pic when burning, can you show us your burning tip being used? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill.....I use a Detail Master 1A tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for doing this. I hope this is not the only one that you do. I have ordered some wood and as soon as it get here I will start carving the Cook.

    ReplyDelete