Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Old Man of the Sage

Old Man of the Sage
Here's a new one.  Seems I'm getting more realistic with each new one I complete.  Not to worry though....the next one will be back in the caricature mode.

The Hudson Bay blanket really sets this one off.  I left the main color of the cloth natural with only some light shading for some shadow effects.  Again, the ear rings are made from some aluminum ducting, pounded out with a ball peen hammer.   I also added some small feathers as part of his neck piece.  With the base the piece is about 14" tall.  

Hope you like him.   Comments welcome. 

Monday, September 18, 2017

White Antelope II

First, I've changed his name.  I was originally planning to add a dusting of snow to the figure but it looked so good once painted I decided to leave it snow-free.  I hope you approve of my decision.  Comments always welcome.  

Montana Bound - Finished

I forgot to post the piece once it was painted so here it is.  I think it really turned out nice and will make a nice addition to someone's collection.   Funny...looking at it I actually feel a little sympathy for him as he's not aware of white lies ahead.  

I hope you like him as much as I do.  Comments welcome as always. 

Sunday, September 10, 2017

White Antelope

Yes...I know!  You're wondering where all the new video projects are.  Well, I've been busy trying to increase my inventory to where I'll have enough to show this week at the North West Arkansas show and next months Dayton exhibit.  Hopefully, once that's behind we can crank things up again.

Here's my latest, just off the table this morning.  To reflect the title he will have just a light dusting of snow.  I copied the base idea off of some bronze busts done by Dave McGary.  As the anchor for the carving is off center this type of base does it in a real clever way that only adds to the interest of the piece.  To get the curve of the hat brim I carved it as thin as I could get it without worrying if it would snap once I steamed it and bent it around a large coffee can.  A couple of strips
of rubber held it in place while it sat in the sun to dry for a couple of days.  Turned out really nice.  While this is a fairly simple piece detail wise it's really attractive and will be more so once it's painted and complete.

I hope you like it and your comments are welcome.