Tuesday, March 04, 2014
Just A Little Off The Top! - Finished!
I waited to the very last minute to add the mirror as I knew it would be the most important step to the piece. I think the reason it broke was because the heat from the epoxy going off and the coldness of the shop just didn't cooperate with the glass. If you were in a 50 mile range of my shop you probably heard the scream at about 8:30 yesterday. I haven't really decided on whether to try and remove and replace the mirror. In a way it kind of adds to the piece. Fishing out the broken pieces could easily destroy the mirror frame. Will have to think about it for a while.
Aside from broken glass, the piece really turned out well. I used trimmings from a paint brush and some horse hair to make the clippings. Sprinkled them on while the first coat of varnish was wet and then came back and sprayed on several additional coats to lock them in place. I did this on a bottle stopper I made quite a while back and it worked out pretty good so doing it on a larger scale was fun.
Anyway, I hope you like him...even with his broken mirror. There are more photos in the Gallery and I look forward to your comments and sympathy!