One thing I've learned when painting facial decorations is that it can change or hide expressions. That happened here. Unpainted he looked really P.O.'d but here he looks kind of contemplative. Will have to wait till the painting is completely done to see if there's any change and whether I can correct it.
Really enjoyed doing the shield. I painted the entire blank with raw sienna and followed that with some lighter tan to lighten up the center. Next came the green, several coats, and then the red lines....mapped out using a Popsicle stick. A liner brush really comes in handy when doing straight lines. It took three coats to cover that green. Then I free-handed the skull using tan, white and black.....lots of blending here. The hooves were last done with asphaltum and outlined with black. Oh....I also used midnight blue to put a shadow on the bottom of the shield and up the one side. A lot of work but it's fun and the result will be quite striking once the feathers are added.
So, it might not look like I did much but believe me it takes time to get the result your after.