Spent the morning painting the Buffalo Skull for my new piece. Looks pretty good although the photo really doesn't show all the colors used. Before starting I checked the skull hanging in the Gallery to make sure I indicated all the major skull details, i.e., plates, nerve holes, etc. As that skull was bleached I did a little research to capture the true colors of a naturally sun bleached product.
I started out by removing the horn caps and then painting the entire skull a light gray (mudstone) followed by yellow ocher highlights, followed by brown (asphaltum) and ending with white on the parts that would be mostly exposed to the sun. I then used straight black for the eye sockets with a little white on the outer edges. For the horn caps I used black and then dry-brushed on some white highlights which really set off the horns texture. Once everything has a chance to dry I'll paint on the ceremonial decoration but not too much as I don't want to overdo it.
So far so good!!