Friday, January 09, 2015

Beans for Breakfast

Finally wrapped this one up this morning so now he can chow down on those beans!.  I really like the way the jacket painting turned out.  To me it looks exactly like a worn denim jacket.  I originally had planned on having just the figure with his plate of blasters, biscuits and coffee but, although I had the base all made, painted and ready to mount it just didn't look right.  So......with a bow to the David Lemon bronze "Morning Joe" that we own I added the details directly behind the figure.  This creates a nice composition and also adds to the figures story.

The coffee pot is wood with a metal handle.  The skillet is also wood, filled with peppercorns embeded in epoxy and painted. The can is made from tin roof flashing with a soldered wire rim and lid made to look like it was cut open with a knife.  The label is just painted paper.  I left a few beans and sauce inside the can to run out and over the base.  I think doing this adds a little more life and humor to the piece.

With the base, the piece stands about 20" tall so it makes a nice presentation  There are more photos in the Gallery and your comments are always welcomed.

4 comments:

  1. Great carving,and painting.I agree the jacket has that well worn look.I have one hanging in the closet almost the same style.I do like the chaps better thougr,the colors are great.Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just excellent Lynn. The painting is superb and the campfire scene is so detailed (as only you can do). Thanx for explaining how you did some of those items. And although you've done these hungry cowboys before ....this, so far, has to be the best. Bet it's gone from the studio in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first thing I noticed was the jacket, looks just like one I used to wear. I like the beans running down the base too. All very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything about it is just right, looks like an old wrangler on the trail. The size is impressive also...wonderful carving.

    ReplyDelete