Saturday, May 19, 2012

Red Horse - Finished!

Just about ran out of paint on this fella.  Still pondering on whether to put a medicine totem on the front of the shield.  Probably will as it needs something to bust up that flat surface.  I used horse hair to make the scalp locks that hang off each shoulder.  Put little wire eyelets on each one and then attached them with corresponding eyelets into the shoulders.  That way they swing freely like the feathers.

The horse dance stick has a horse hair mane, a wire bit and leather reins and decorative strips front and back.  These do a good job of hiding the large dowel that holds the shield to the body.  I used a technique I used before on some lances to simulate fur on his hair wraps.  After carving them I gave them a heavy coat of Mod Podge and then sprinkled on some fine gravel.  Once dry I painted it a dark tan then emphasized the divisions with a darker brown and to finished it I dry brushed on some light tan.  I think it looks pretty good and adds a lot of interest and texture to the piece.    If you look at the large head feathers from the back you'll note some heavy texturing where they are tied together.  For that I use acrylic modeling past, stippled on and then painted.  I think it looks pretty good.

There are lots of photos in the gallery and I look forward to your comments.


  1. Another piece that is extremely well-finished. You show us excellent techniques and an attention to detail that border on the obsessive.all coming together to make a truly magnificent carving. Great job and a feast for the eyes.

  2. Super nice carving Lynn and thanx for sharing how you do the texturing and attaching of implements like the scalp locks etc.

  3. Truly a spectacular piece. The colors of Red Horse really bring this art to life. A fantastic job , all the way around. Thank you Lynn. fred k