Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Making Paper Manikins



Several carvers have ask me how I develop characters and what tools I use to help me transfer the idea from paper to wood. Probably the main one is a simple paper manikin.

As you can see by the photo, I have many different sizes depending on the project. They are very easy to make as you can see by the attached photos. The only materials needed are a file folder and a wife's grommet maker. Also, if you're lucky like I am, you'll have two visiting Grandkids to make the job a little easier and much more enjoyable. How often does Grandpa get the chance to show off his paperdoll making skills.

You can use the photo showing all the different pieces to make any size you want. Just copy it off to a wordprocessing page and blow it up or reduce it to the measurement of your figure.

5 comments:

  1. Glad to know my kids are being educated in things that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you were reading my mind here. This is one of the things I was going to talk to you about at the Dayton, OH show. Thanks for adding the Manikin details...Myron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn, The grommets I used after making this manikin, only allow for a fixed position pose, have you found any types of grommets that allows the manikin to become flexible and move the pose into different positions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill....Assuming that you're using the same grommet maker as I did you don't want to squeeze them the whole way or they will lock the pose. They will be stiff in the beginning but if you carefully wiggle them they should eventually move freely. Most of mine move so freely I have to do it on a flat surface to keep them from losing the pose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lynn, thought that they had some flexibilty for re-shaping. Yes, I squeezed my maker way to tight. Will correct my technique. Thanks Bill

    ReplyDelete